Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Scorpio Races (Maggie Stiefvater)


Title: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic
Length: 404 pages
Rating: 4.5/5

Every November, tourists pour into the small island of Thisby to watch the violent Scorpio Races, where it’s far more likely for a racing water horses to kill his rider than it is for him to win. Puck Connely has lived on Thisby her whole life, and it’s desperation that finally drives her to become the first girl to compete in the Scorpio races. Sean Kendrick is the four-time reigning champion of the Races, but this year, he’s also fueled by desperation. As they prepare for a race that could very well take their lives, Puck and Sean’s paths cross and change both their lives forever.



I enjoyed Maggie Stiefvater’s writing in Shiver, and had heard great things about this book. And while the book started off slowly, it definitely lived up to the hype. The writing was gorgeous and descriptive, giving life to the courageous Puck and the unmoving Sean, as well as to the island itself. almost as a third main character in the book. The water horses were a little harder to picture- half regular horse, half part of the ocean, but I liked that the murky way they were portrayed mirrored the way their spirits refused to be tampered down by humans on the island.

I’m beginning to wax a little too poetic in this review, but only because Stiefvater somehow manages to make a story about dangerous killing beasts so beautiful. I grew to love both Puck and Sean as characters and was incredibly sad to let them go at the end of the novel. I can’t give much higher praise than that! A definite must-read. 

2 comments:

  1. I seen this in the library but wasn't sure about it so I didn't check it out. But after reading your review I plan on grabbing it! Great review!

    I am a new follower too! I would be honored if you would check out my blog,
    www.readtomyhearts.blogspot.com

    I also have one that my four sons and I work on together if you have time, www.superreadingkids.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read "The Wolves of Mercy Falls" serie and I was afraid to try this one...
    Thanks for your review I will give it a try!
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete