Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Embrace (Jessica Shirvington)


Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks, Inc
Length: 369 pages
Rating: 4/5

Weird things start to happen on Violet Eden’s 17th birthday. Not only does she find out she’s half-human, but the guy she’s been crushing on knew about it and didn’t tell her. He’s half-human too, and together, they’re destined to fight angel exiles on earth. But Violet doesn’t trust him anymore, and turns to the support of Phoenix, who just happens to be an angel exile. Choice and destiny don’t seem to be getting along for Violet who is learning that life and the higher powers definitely don’t exist in black and white.

Violet Eden not only has the coolest name, but she’s pretty awesomely hardcore herself. Yeah, she’s got the attention of two hot guys, but she doesn’t become passive or whiney because of it. Instead, she’s all about choosing her own destiny, even though she doesn’t actually have a whole lot of choice in the matter. But she tries as hard as she can to control her own fate and has a lot of respectable inner strength to match her outer strength.

Speaking of those two hot guys though- talk about some great romantic tension. I couldn’t put this book down. Lincoln and Violet are made for one another, but angel rules dictate they can’t be together. And he’s broken Violet’s trust and she has a hard time getting past that. Phoenix has a major thing for Violet, because she’s a new, special kind of fighter, and he’s intrigued. All in all, the makings of a great love triangle.

Some of the angel hierarchy explanations still left me a little muddled, but hopefully it’ll clear itself up in the next book. Which I’m very much looking forward to reading. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about this book! I may have to add it to my TBR list. I was doing a bit of blog hopping and stumbled upon yours! I'm a brand spankin' new follower! I would love it if you would stop by my blog for a visit and follow back if you would like! :) Here's the link: MaMa's Book Corner I hope you have had yourself a fantastic weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete