Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fangirl (Rainbow Rowell)

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Length: 433 pages

Rating: 4/5

Cath's world is the Simon Snow fandom (she's kind of a big deal in the fanfic world), her identical sister Wren, and their dad. But college is a whole different story. Soon she's dealing with a sister who isn't talking to her, a surly roommate with an overly-friendly boyfriend, her dad who is a mess, and a fiction writing teacher who doesn't think fanfic is real literature. And all Cath wants to do is stay in her room and write. Can she learn to live in a nonfictional world?


Things I loved about this book:
  1. This book takes place freshman year of college. What's more life-changing than freshman year of college?! It's wonderful to read a book set here with all the trails and tribulations without it being this-will-be-life-changing preachy.
  2. This book really focused on family, and what it means to rely on them without being dependent. Plus, my sister and I always wanted to be twins, and now I live with twins, so I loved reading a story about twins (and not the Sweet Valley High version).
  3. Fanfiction. I loved the interspersed bits of fandom, especially Cath's own fanfic.
  4. Rainbow Rowell knows how to write a good romance!
Things I didn't love:
  1. Why is Cath so afraid of herself (especially herself in relationships)? The boy seemed to have more patience than is humanly possible (but I loved him for it).
  2. It's impossible to read this story without drawing direct parallels between Simon Snow and Harry Potter, and a large part of this book was focused on Cath growing out of the fandom and moving on without it, because it is often looked at as childish. This is great for Cath's character growth, but I didn't like these particular parallels, because I don't ever want to grow out of Harry Potter!
Overall, a great story of learning to take charge of your own life.  

6 comments:

  1. Great Blog! It's fun to find recommendations for new titles rather than the hit and miss method of picking them off the shelf. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I love love love this book so much.
    And growing out of HP is impossible, so no worries!
    We should HP marathon together...yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so much. I loaned it to a friend, and I really want it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fangirl is such a great book! It's relatable for fangirls like mwaa. Great review by the way! I get the thing about Harry Potter too haha. It made me think about Harry and Draco... ... ...

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete